‘Problems are questions that are unsolved ’_Tony Robbins
Thinking about throttling that employee? What if you are looking for a way to break through and connect to a difficult employee and I say to you- use questions, what would be the first thought that crossed your mind? You’re crazy! Or, what does asking questions have to do with a difficult, disengaged employee?! I would answer- everything that you’re seeking!
Want to solve a challenge at work or home? Here are a few reasons why questions are the solutions to getting answers for problems at work or home.
Asking the right question at the right time can:
- Get the answers you’re seeking
- Reveal people’s perspectives
- Influence people to change from inside out
- Get more buy-in to you and the idea from your team
- Clear up misunderstandings
- Prevent misunderstandings
- Help to understand resistance to transitions
- Prevent resistance to transitions when used first
How do you know what kind of question to ask?
- A- Assumptions. Check your assumptions about the situation. Ask questions to help your employees recognize their assumptions.
- A-Awareness. Create awareness of the impact assumptions or a particular perspective have on the person and the organization. Ask questions designed to achieve an increase in awareness on the part of the people with whom you interact.
- D-Discover Solutions. Do stay out of the ditch by steering your employees to look for solutions rather than be crippled or held hostage by the circumstances they face.
- C-Change. Ask questions of your employees what they would need to change first before they can successfully put in place their solutions.
- A-Action. Always get your employees to identify what they will be doing based on the session. Then get them to identify when they will do it and when they will follow-up with you.
For each of the above 7 benefits for asking the right question at the right time and the 5 different types of questions to ask, what will you be doing differently in your place of work? Please write your comments below.